Three members of the sales team, two members of the editorial board, both Student Media advisers, and one associate director of the Student Involvement and Leadership Center flew off to La Jolla, California for the annual Associated Collegiate Press/College Media Business and Advertising Managers Convention this past week.
The convention started on Thursday, February 28 and ended on Saturday, March 2. Our team was excited to exchange ideas with people all over the county.
“It’s opened my eyes to an industry that I wasn’t formally part of before but now I have a new appreciation for marketing and sales,” said Frances Shoaf, advertising consultant for USU Student Media.
CMBAM offers many opportunities for learning with multiple classes covering all aspects of business, marketing, and sales for student media groups.
“I’ve loved meeting new people as well, and learning how to better myself,” said Saydi Mangelson, advertising consultant for USU Student Media.
“Big takeaways are just the exchange of ideas with other student media people all over the country…and getting to bond with the people I came with,” said Mackenzie Garrison, sales manager.
Student Media came home with a total of nine awards—two Best of Show wards form ACP and seven CMBAM awards.
- Honorable Mention: Best Self Promotional Video Ad
- Third Place: Best Video Ad or Underwriting Spot
- Second Place: Best Self-Branded Promotional Giveaway
- Second Place: Best Cross Platform Social Media Campaign
- First Place: Best Self Promotional Audio Ad
- First Place: Best Social Media Promotion
- First Place: Best College Multimedia Program